Let's get curious.


I was explaining to a new student that as uke we get to be curious.  I demonstrated that when nage turns, I follow to see where they went giving nage motion and energy to work with.  Often an uke will just hang on to the wrist when nage turns or enters.  Nage does not have to do anything because the attack stops and there is no need to defend anymore. We work at simulating an open, inquiring attitude when we uke. Each time we step into the question. We don’t rely on what we think we know or what we expect to happen. 

At work, I felt unheard and defensive. After class last Thursday it occurred to me that I could be curious about the situation. I don’t have to understand everything right away. I can stay open and follow. And most importantly just as in Aikido training I can celebrate the conflict. I don’t need to take it personally.  It is just another opportunity to be mindful and peaceful.  Such a challenge every day.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, I am right....

Just keep moving.